Saturday, February 21, 2009

For Scooter: The Siamese who makes me weak in the knees



I joined Catster in 2007. Soon after that, I was invited to join the Olde Furts and of course I received a warm welcome from Scooter. I loved the group. As an Olde mancat of 22, the Olde Furts home was my spot on Catster. It was a place where my Mom could learn from other Olde Furt pawrents. It was a place to laugh and have fun also, and sometimes to cry.

Not too long after I joined the Olde Furts, I was invited to help administer the group. Wow! What an honor! Scootie and the other admins needed some help, and I was tickled to be involved. Of course, I had NO idea what I was getting myself into. I didn't realize until I took up some of the responsibilities just how much work was involved in making the Olde Furts one of the best groups on Catster. It was then that I realized how special Scooter was.

Scootie and I didn't always see eye to eye about some of the issues that came up within the Olde Furts. However, she was always fair, always a good listener, and always worked to do what was best for the group. As we worked together, my respect and admiration for Scoots grew and grew. This is a wonderful cat.

My 23rd birthday came in July of 2008, and Scooter sent me some wonderful gifts. A catnip cigar, a catnip pillow, and a photo of herself, which was the best gift of all. Actually, the best gift of all was Scootie's friendship, which I cherished above all else. I flew to the bridge about two weeks after my 23rd birthday, and Scooter and the other Olde Furts were wonderfully supportive of my Mom and my family.

It was difficult to read Scooter's diary, to know she was starting to decline. To hear that her health was failing. Throughout it all, Scoots' spirit stayed strong. She was a tough little cat. She truly lived up to her "pre Catster" nickname of "Duke". She was as tough as John Wayne ever was.

Now Scooter is here at the bridge, along with so many of the other Olde Furts. Like the other Furts (and non-Furts) who came to the bridge before her, Scooter's spirit lives on, not only on Catster, but in the hearts of the people who are typing words for this tribute. We love you Scooter!

Alex

1 comment: